"...design seems to occupy a place between fine art and craft, between aesthetics and commerse, beauty and persuasion, novelty and familiarity and so on. Obviously the emphasis between the polarities changes in response to the specific problem and the intention and talent of the designer. The term commercial art is a simplification and seems to eliminate the inherent conflict. For this reason I prefer the more ambiguous phrase 'graphic design'..." m. glaser
you might be most familiar with his work like this...
I came across this quote in my quest to find an answer to a question I've been asked a million times. "Do you consider graphic design to be a fine art?" I realize there is a difference between computer arts and painting, photography (which by the way there is yet more difference between digital and slr), ceramics...etc. But, in a digital world isn't there room for computer arts to be added to the list? Does a painter not use specific tools to create his masterpiece? Answer: yes. Paint...canvas...brush. I too use tools to create my masterpieces...Computer for one. Anyway. I'm sure in time I'll have plenty of time to sway you to my side.

No comments:
Post a Comment